Monday, December 22, 2008

Johnny Cash


I love it when Jose Reyes, Art Director of Paste Magazine calls, he always drops the sweetest assignments. He has a gift for matching the illustrator to the right project. In the November 2008 issue, Paste Magazine reviews Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison: Legacy Edition, and Jose wanted a full page portrait of Johnny Cash illustrated from that era, circa 1968.



I drew up a few pencil sketches. I wanted to provide Jose with different moods for this illustration, so he could have a choice.




Here's the Review page as printed, with all the graphics and logos. To make the illustration really match Paste's page layout, I sampled the aqua color from the "R" logo and painted the background behind his head with a bit of it. I also sampled the light red from the same logo and used that in the center of his face. With that done, I was pleased with the way it all turned out.








$65 includes shipping within the continental US, prints are gently rolled in tubes and shipped via USPS, signed and titled by the artist.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Hey Graham.
I love the johhny Cash portrait. you really added somethign to the treatment with all wood grain and all the color choices. Folsom Prison is one of my favorite albums.

Graham Smith said...

Thanks Tony!

Related Posts with Thumbnails