Monday, September 21, 2009

Pearl Jam for Rolling Stone

.


Pearl Jam "Backspacer" illustration by Graham Smith - for Rolling Stone magazine.


I love drawing rock stars, so when Steven Charny, Art Director at Rolling Stone asked me to illustrate Pearl Jam's fierce new Backspacer album for their Review, I was in pen and ink heaven.

"I want you to illustrate all 5 band members in a high energy performance, with Vedder highlighted, in front and largest..... oh, and can I have some sketches tomorrow?

I began drawing as fast as I could, submitting several sketches the following day, and over Labor Day weekend, I illustrated this super grungy tribute to Pearl Jam.

Below is Rolling Stone magazine with my illustration as printed, and a number of pen and ink studies on my desk. Since working in pen and ink is so unforgiving, I usually end up drawing a few versions to figure out the best solution for the final artwork.

I drew the sketch at double the print size, to work out details like how the fingers hold their guitars. I inked the final illustration at 150% of final print size using Pelkian ink, a #8 round brush, and a 513ef nib on Strathmore 50lb paper.






Details: Pearl Jam Backspacer illustration by Graham Smith



High Resolution Archival Prints, signed by illustrator Graham Smith, are available for sale now, size 13 x 19 inches, the illustration looks absolutely amazing printed on MOAB Somerset enhanced textured 100% cotton paper.

$65 includes shipping within continental USA. Shipped in tubes via USPS. Signed by the artist.









Thanks, Graham Smith



.

1 comment:

BTillustration said...

Dude, you just literally illustrated my dream job!! Looks awesome and you're a perfect fit for that assignment. Totally jealous.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails